Re: libscrypt

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 07:52:28AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I'm working on adding support for Scrypt in Nettle.  My local repository
> is working including self tests and a decent API:
>
> https://www.gitorious.org/scrypt/nettle-scrypt
>
> I'm working on pushing this upstream (PBKDF2 is in, Salsa20 almost in),
> but I haven't had time lately to finish it.  Comments on the API etc is
> most useful, probably best on the Nettle mailing list.
>
> Btw, Nettle is a low-level crypto library under LGPLv2+, used for
> example by recent GnuTLS.  It is similar to libgcrypt but with a simpler
> design.

Thanks.  I took a look.  It nicely separates the many primitives that
are needed for scrypt, but for my immediate use I'd rather have an
scrypt-only library, where I can optimize things across the boundaries
of the primitives (yes, this prevents them from being exported on their
own).  Also, it does not appear to use SSE2 for the Salsa20 core yet.
There is x86_64/salsa20-crypt.asm, but it's the full Salsa20 cipher I
guess, so it's not used by your scrypt code, it seems.

Finally, while LGPL is rather permissive, I think it'd be best for me to
propose any generally reusable changes relative to Colin's code under
2-clause BSD.

Alexander