Oddity around backup times...

I'm a new tarsnap user, backing up several directories on my laptop.

One in particular contains about 40 GB in about 7500 items. Tarsnap completes on this directory sometimes in 30 seconds, and sometimes it appears to take hours. Looking at activity monitor while it's taking hours, there's negligible network traffic, so I'm not sure what Tarsnap is doing if it's not uploading.

I've added -v and -vv options in an attempt to figure out what's going on, and so far, other than printing the name of each file it's backing up, I haven't learned much.

Any ideas for what's causing the disparity in backup times, or suggestions for how I can track this down further?

Thanks!

John Mark Schofield
http://schof.org
jms@schof.org