If you change machines .. what goes with the id thing?

The machine I originally logged into and uploaded from tarsnap with
was a vmguest running on win 7.

It was a debian linux install.  I really wanted a gentoo linux install
but had too much trouble getting it to work as a vm guest.

I've now gotten a gentoo VM running and would sooner use it to do all
up/down loading to/from tarsnap.  I'm just more familiar with gentoo.

I'm not sure how the mach. ID thing works but will it need to be
changed?

Both VMs are running on the same host machine.