about renaming archive

I left any dating mechanism off my first archive by accident, or
better put, by absent mindedness.  So I wanted to rename it.

I realize tarsnap will retrieve the file date for me with something
like:

  tarsnap -v -v --list-archives

But I wanted a visible date in the file name.

I found this by googline `tarnsap rename archive' :
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.tarsnap.user/month=20110301

That thread contains the answer to how to rename but when I got the
error (posted below) I hoped to find some more info and tried to use
the search mechanism on that page.

Typing some likely search terms and hit `enter' but it just results in a
timeout failure.

But anyway I saw a command in the old thread above:
  tarsnap -c -f foo @@bar (and deleting the old archive)

on my first try I got the names backwards.

I guess foo = newname and @@bar = oldname, since `foo' follows the -f
flag.  So my first command:
  tarsnap -v -v -c -f m2-ImagesMusic m2-ImagesMusic-11.06.30_043715

resulted in an error.

I didn't keep the error output of that one but it indicated something
like `you already have an archive named m2-ImagesMusic

Then when I tried it the other way round I was told I already had an
archive named: m2-ImagesMusic-11.06.30_043715

So apparently it got created partially or something on the first
command.

OK, so then I deleted m2-ImagesMusic-11.06.30_043715

 ( tarsnap -d -f m2-ImagesMusic-11.06.30_043715 )

Finally tried what I hope is the right command:

tarsnap -v -v -c -f m2-ImagesMusic-$(dtf)  @@m2-ImagesMusic

 (dtf is dating script that ouputs the current date in the format
 shown above)

But I got an error that sounds like it might be serious.

  [...]

,----
|   tarsnap: Error reading archive m2-ImagesMusic: Pathname in pax header
|   can't be converted to current locale.
|
|                                          Total size  Compressed size
|   All archives                          47451647049      36380066600
|     (unique data)                       34288390766      27769701059
|   This archive                            432979195        386430111
|   New data                                   105051            73448
|   tarsnap: Error exit delayed from previous errors.
`----

What does it mean.  Is my date format causing the problem?  Is it
likely I've gimmied up my original archive?