Backup Restore (Was: Re: Getting started with Tarsnap)

This really should be started in a new thread...

--As of February 13, 2014 6:09:57 PM +0530, Vijay Barnwal is alleged to have said:

I have a problem with restore a particular directory from tarsnap backup.
Its taking too much time to restore a directory from archive backup.
Please Help me to resolve this.
My command is tarsnap -x -f backup backupPath

Please tell me the command for fast restore.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Define 'too much time': How fast is the restore going?

Tarsnap is *online* backups - it has to download the data to do a restore. The problem could be your connection, the server, something upstream, etc. It's possible there's a problem Colin can/should fix, but that can't be determined from your posting. We need to know exactly what you are seeing.

There are a couple options which can slow down your restore, but you'd have to set them in the config file for them to being slowing you down, so I doubt there are any options you could set that could significantly speed things up.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.