Pre-flight check….

Hi,

I'm about to try out Tarsnap for the first time this weekend, but before doing do, wanted to check on a couple of things.

1).  Is Tarsnap suitable for _all_ file types, or are there any types of files that it has problems with?  I'm intending to back up quite a different variety of file types - text, photographs, music, and so on, and thought it might be better to ask this question first.

2).  Does the archiving process ( i.e. use of the 'tar' command) alter the original files in any way?  Again, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but thought it better to be safe than sorry.  I was concerned that if, for some reason, I couldn't get the archiving to work, it might damage the original files.

Thanks for any advice on these matters.

Regards,

John Gamble