Re: splitting key across machines

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:33:55 AM CEST, Colin Percival wrote:
The syncing needs to go both ways -- deletes need to know how many archives use each block, so they can figure out which blocks are no longer needed
after a
delete is finished, and creates need to know which blocks exist.

In which case the original poster probably should think hard about doing this.

Suppose a fun-loving attacker gains access to the server that makes the backups and manipulates the cache to set all the refcounts to 1, then waits for the OP to sync the cache to the host that can delete. When the OP syncs, the attacker laughs like a hollywood villain, turns off the OP's own access to the server, phones the OP and says "your backups are no good any more. Paypal me $x in ten minutes or I wreck the server, too."

tarsnap --fsck seems a suitable alternative.

Arnt