I've over-archived. What to do?

Going for simplicity, my script scoops up $myhomedirectory,
$mymediapartition, and $mywebservercontent.

On reflection, a LOT of what's in $myhomedirectory is not stuff that I
would actually restore: browser history, persistent cookies, tmp files.

If I narrow the sieve and run a backup with it, then delete the space
pig, will the sieved down backup retain those bytes from the deleted
archive that are still in scope, or will I be consume lots of
bandwidth to replace them?

--

Edward Ahlsen-Girard
Ft Walton Beach, FL