Re: Confusion about including and excluding files in tarsnap.conf versus the command line

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 11:05 -0800, Graham Percival wrote:
> I'm pretty certain that your first upload will be limited by your upload speed.

Yes, you are right, of course. I think I was just surprised that the dry
run took as long as it did, so that's where my mind was at when I was
thinking the connection wasn't the bottleneck. I was wrong.

> 85 GB is a lot, and cable ISPs often have a lower upload speed than download.
> If your Shaw cable offers 150 kb/s of sustained upload, then I think it
> will take 6.5 days.  Let's do this in MB:
>   85000 MB / 0.150 MB/s = 566667 seconds
>   566667 seconds / 60 s/m / 60 m/h = 157.4 hours
>
> If you have sustained upload of 300 kb/s, that would only be 78.7 hours, or 3
> days.  Which, come to think of it, looks close to the time you estimated.

Turned out the upload finished about 12-16 hours (if I remember
correctly) sooner than either of us calculated.

The cron job has been happily running all week, so things are good.
However, the script at https://www.tarsnap.com/tips.html#receive-mail
refers to an output file that isn't actually created, so should I be
specifying the output file name on the command line or somewhere else?
Doesn't seem like it's needed though, as cron sends along the output
anyway.

Craig