Re: Using wildcards to remove archives

On 15 Mar 2019, at 05:21 , Graham Percival <gperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 05:39:42PM +0200, hvjunk wrote:
On 14 Mar 2019, at 17:27 , Craig Hartnett <craig.lists@subs4.sitnominedigna.com> wrote:

I've skimmed the sources of some of the "helper scripts" that offer
archive rotation (and, of course, done a web search), but I can't seem
to figure out how to use wildcards to delete Tarsnap archives.

See below.  :)

Pull the whole list of archives, then grep for those you want, and do a multiple delete action: Beware, it could take easily an hour for large number of archives (In my case dailies) where I delete and leave weeklies/monthlies every 3-6months.

Yes, although I'd use a different "multiple delete action".

The “juice” part I use is GNU parallel which gets fed the list of archives (on the STDIN), one per line, ie:

cat LIST-TO-DELETE | parallel -j1 -X time tarsnap -v -v -v -d --keep-going -f{}

This is the first time I've looked into GNU parallel, but if you
use it with -j1, surely it has no real effect?

The -j1 is like xargs’s “default”, ie. no parallel execution. The reason for parallel and not xargs, is/was the -f <archive_name> repetition, as I’ve stated at the bottom of that email "else you’ll have multiple tarsnaps competing and I recall the one working while the others exit with error

Here's my solution, using the --archive-names option (new in
1.0.38, 2018-July-15, so longtime users might not know it exists).

Ah!, thanks for reminding my about that one!