Re: Using wildcards to remove archives

On Thu, 2019-03-14 at 20:33 -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:07:57AM +0000, Bob Eager wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 16:28:25 -0700
> > Craig Hartnett <craig.lists@subs4.sitnominedigna.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, but wow, that seems unnecessarily complicated and
> > > time-consuming.
>
> Computer people are sometimes like mathematicians: we like to rely
> on tools that we already know.  :)

Good point, Graham, and that explains why I was mostly looking at the
shell scripts myself. I'm not proficient in Python, and know nothing
about Haskell and Go. Like you, I hadn't heard of parallel, and my
"time-consuming" comment was more about how I operate when I learn about
something new.

Bob, I apologise that my comment sounded dismissive.

> As the old joke goes,

Good joke. :)

> There's a few reasons why you might not want to use one of those
> helper scripts:
> - you're paranoid that the script authors might have added a
>   backdoor, and you're not confident enough about language X to
>   check the script yourself.
>   Since Tarsnap is software for the truly paranoid, we definitely
>   respect such concerns!
> - you enjoy crafting tools yourself and tinkering with your
>   computer.

The second of those is more applicable to me.

Craig