[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Identifying which files changed between archives
- To: Scott Dickinson <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Identifying which files changed between archives
- From: Colin Percival <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 12:23:04 -0700
- Autocrypt: firstname.lastname@example.org; prefer-encrypt=mutual; keydata= mQGhBElrAAcRBACDfDys4ZtK+ErCJ1HAzYeteKpm3OEsvT/49AjUTLihkF79HhIKrCQU+1KC zv7BwHCMLb6hq30As9L7iFKG7n5QFLFC4Te/VcITUnWHMG/c3ViLOfJGvi+9/nOEHaM1dVJY D6tEp5yM1nHmVQpo9932j4KGuGFR0LhOK5IHXOSfGwCgxSFDPdgxe2OEjWxjGgY+oV3EafcD +JROXCTjlcQiG/OguQH4Vks3mhHfFnEppLxTkDuYgHZQiUtpcT9ssH5khgqoTyMar05OUdAj ZIhNbWDh4LgTj+7ZmvLhXT5Zxw8LX9d7T36aTB8XDQSenDqEtinMWOb0TCBBLbsB8EFG1WTT ESbZci9jJS5yhtktuZoY/eM8uXMD/3k4FWFO80VRRkELSp+XSy/VlSQjyi/rhl2nQq/oOA9F oJbDaB0yq9VNhxP+uFBzBWSqeIX0t1ZWLtNfVFr4TRP5hihI5ICrg/0OpqgisKsU2NFe9xyO hyJLYmfD8ebpDJ/9k30C7Iju9pVrwLm1QgS4S2fqJRcR+U4WbjvP7CgStCVDb2xpbiBQZXJj aXZhbCA8Y3BlcmNpdmFAdGFyc25hcC5jb20+iGEEExECACEFAklrALYCGwMHCwkIBwMCAQQV AggDBBYCAwECHgECF4AACgkQOM7KaQxqam6/igCgn+z2k3V5ggNppmWrZstt1U2lugsAoL7L wS9V9yLtil3oWmHtwpUqYruEuQINBElrAAcQCAD3ZLMIsP4CIDoJORg+YY0lqLVBgcnF7pFb 4Uy2+KvdWofN+DKH61rZLjgXXkNE9M4EQC1B4lGttBP8IY2gs41y3AUogGdyFbidq99rCBz7 LTsgARHwFxZoaHmXyiZLEU1QZuMqwPZV1mCviRhN5E3rRqYNXVcrnXAAuhBpvNyj/ntHvcDN 2/m+ochiuBYueU4kX3lHya7sOj+mTsndcWmQ9soOUyr8O0r/BG088bMn4qqtUw4dl5/pglXk jbl7uOOPinKf0WVd2r6M0wLPJCD4NPHrCWRLLLAjwfjrtoSRvXxDbXhCdgGBa72+K8eYLzVs hgq7tJOoBWzjVK6XRxR7AAMGB/9Mo3iJ2DxqDecd02KCB5BsFDICbJGhPltU7FwrtbC7djSb XUrwsEVLHi4st4cbdGNCWCrp0BRezXZKohKnNAPFOTK++ZfgeKxrV2sJod+Q9RILF86tQ4XF 7A7Yme5hy92t/WgiU4vc/fWbgP8gV/19f8nunaT2E9NSa70mZFjZNu4iuwThoUUO5CV3Wo0Y UISsnRK8XD1+LR3A2qVyLiFRwh/miC1hgLFCTGCQ3GLxZeZzIpYSlGdQJ0L5lixW5ZQD9r1I 8i/8zhE6qRFAM0upUMI3Gt1Oq2w03DiXrZU0Fu/R8Rm8rlnkQKA+95mRTUq1xL5P5NZIi4gJ Z569OPMFiEkEGBECAAkFAklrAAcCGwwACgkQOM7KaQxqam41igCfbaldnFTu5uAdrnrghESv EI3CAo8AoLkNMks1pThl2BJNRm4CtTK9xZeH
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- Openpgp: preference=signencrypt
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 2019-06-18 04:49, Scott Dickinson wrote:
> I'm trying to work out how to generate a report on files that are new or
> changed in a particular archive. I can't seem to find an easy way to do this,
> so hoping someone can help.
> Here is the scenario I'm working through.
> 1. Backup directory "x" on 1st May 2019. First time archive, all 10Gb are sent
> as expected.
> 2. Backup directory "x" on 1st June 2019. Second time archive, 25Mb are sent.
> How can I report on which files that 25Mb of delta's are part of? In this
> scenario, I wasn't expecting any changes to the files over the month, so am
> surprised there were anything above the metadata to be backed up. My
> understanding is that Tarsnap needs to know which files the changed blocks
> belong to, therefore in theory this metadata should be extractable.
Not exactly. At one level Tarsnap knows which blocks are part of each file,
but that's not the same thing as knowing which file a block comes from --
that isn't even a completely meaningful question, since a block might occur
in multiple files or in no files (if it's a block of metadata).
> The closest I've found to locate this is "tarnsap -t -f 'x' -v --iso-dates",
> but this doesn't natively provide the details I'm after. Ideally I'd like
> tarsnap to be able to report which files were uploaded at the time or archive
> with an option similar to --print-stats.
> Anyone got any ideas?
The best I can suggest is to use `tarsnap -tv` to list each archive and
compare the output from the two runs.
Security Officer Emeritus, FreeBSD | The power to serve
Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid