temp files

Hi,
  I am curious about the implementation details moving data though tarsnap.   I realize that I can dig through the source code but it was a bit obtuse when I looked.  I didn't see an answer to my question in the tips, faq, technical details, etc.

Does tarsnap write data to disk as it creates and encrypts chunks?  If so, where?

If not, does it stream the chunks directly to the backup servers?  In this scenario I'd guess that data moves from disk through ram then across the network.

thank you,
JT