Re: problems building, more docs?

On 05/08/13 19:22, Alex Polvi wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com
> <mailto:cperciva@tarsnap.com>> wrote:
>     The code in SVN uses BSD make since that makes my life as a developer much
>     easier; I have a "make publish" target which creates POSIX Makefiles to go
>     into a tarball.
>
> polvi@ssd:~/masstree-beta$ make publish
> make: *** No rule to make target `publish'.  Stop.
>
> Guess you need to be on BSD make there too?

Yes, sorry.

>     Are you just exploring, or do you have an application in mind for this code?
>
> I'm looking for a much simpler alternative to zookeeper or doozer for storing
> configuration data across groups of hosts. My end goal would be to have a
> service similar to EC2's magical 169. http server, but all hosts in the same
> group could read it.
>
> Do you think kivaloo would be a good base for something like this?

Can your data be represented as key-value pairs with keys and values being no
more than 255 bytes in length?  That's what kvlds does.

Do you need replication?  Kivaloo doesn't do that.  (Backups are easy, though
-- just copy kivaloo-lbs's state directory.)

Do you need to speak HTTP?  Kivaloo only speaks the kivaloo wire protocol.
(I've considered adding a memcached-kvlds protocol shim though.)