Re: Debian Packaging Build Patches (aka bike shed painting)

On 04/11/14 09:22, Barak A. Pearlmutter wrote:
> In updating the Debian scrypt package to the most recent version in SVN,
> there were a few minor patches to the build system to support building
> without manual intervention.  I'm attaching these below, in case others
> might either find them useful or be driven to explain why they're bogus.

Thanks!  I'm rather inexperienced with autotools (I avoid them whenever
possible...) so it's not surprising that I got a few things wrong here.
I'll merge these in next time I'm doing a batch of scrypt updates.

> There are a few other small build mods that might make sense which I didn't
> make:
>
> (a) Since all arch=amd64 (aka x86_64) CPUs support SSE2, --enable-sse2
> should probably be enabled by default on amd64.

Agreed.

> (b) The macro file acscrypt.m4 defining CHECK_SYSCTL_HW_USERMEM could be
> moved to m4/check_sysctl_hw_usermem.m4, and AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) added
> to configure.ac, to let it be picked up automatically, included in
> aclocal.m4, etc.

Right.

> (c) Having ./configure write over the Makefile in the tarball with a new
> completely unrelated Makefile is a bit ... confusing.

What Makefile in the tarball?  There's one in the SVN tree (which contains
my FreeBSD build code for testing and tarball-creation) but it shouldn't be
in the released tarball.