Re: scrypt: Decrypting file would require too much memory

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 13:33:30 -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
> On 10/15/15 00:38, Christoph Borsbach wrote:

> >> How much memory did the OS X system have?
> >
> > 8 GB
>
> Ok, this may just be a matter of the OS X box legitimately encrypting using
> more memory than the OpenBSD box has, then.
>
> The relevant limits value is the datasize, not the stacksize.  But to answer
> your question, scrypt uses a large amount of memory -- the larger the better
> -- to convert your passphrase into the key used for encryption; so this is
> entirely independent of the amount of data you're processing.

I have access to another OpenBSD System with 6 GB Ram. I cranked the datasize
limit to ~5GB and still I get the same error:

$ ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         5316608
stack(kbytes)        4096
lockedmem(kbytes)    2026642
memory(kbytes)       6078248
nofiles(descriptors) 512
processes            256

Anyway, do I understand the -M option to scrypt correctly that if I use, say,
-M 536870912 (512MB), on all of my machines, it should decrypt on all machines
(that have a ulimit of 512MB or more) without error?

Thanks again!

Christoph