Re: spiped build issues on OS X

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
> Oh wow.  I'm surprised this didn't go even worse.  The Makefiles in the
> individual spipe and spiped directories aren't designed to be used with
> Makefile.POSIX...

I know. But that raises the question: how should someone other than
yourself (running FreeBSD) hack on spiped? Is there a better approach
than what I'm doing?

> Or in the extreme case, 512 macros, for each subset of the 9 inline
> functions which may or may not be used by a particular module...

Another possible solution would be to turn off the warnings via
pragmas from the possibly-unused functions. I don't know how that
would interact with macro expansion, though...

>> In file included from ../libcperciva/util/asprintf.c:2:
>> In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:71:
>> /usr/include/sys/_types/_va_list.h:31:26: error: redefinition of typedef
>>       'va_list' is a C11 feature [-Werror,-Wtypedef-redefinition]
>
> I suppose technically this is true... but it's also a feature in C99 and
> C89, so I have no idea where this complaint is coming from.

Actually, see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8367646/redefinition-of-typedef
. Looks like it's legal in C++ but not in C89 or C99, probably due to
an oversight.

> It certainly can't hurt to use a supported version of OpenSSL.

My mistake -- it looks like Homebrew's version is already using an
updated OpenSSL (per Dominyk's previous message).