Spiped + Mysql over a LAN, high latency?

Hi there, I've started using spiped to connect a client with a mysql server.
I'm using spiped in the server and in the client. These are the commands I'm running:

In the client:
/bin/spiped -F -e -s 'localhost:3306' -t 'lan.server:13306' -k key.key

In the server:
/bin/spiped -F -d -s 'lan.localhost:13306' -t 'localhost:3306' -k key.key

And then the connection between the mysql client and server is transparent.

The problem I'm having is that spiped is adding latency (I guess so).
Obviously I'm not creating a new connection every time I need one (I have a connection pool in the application server).

I've done a quick test and replaced spiped with ssh -L and it performed a lot better.

Any ideas or things I could look to?

I'm sorry for the vague details, I'm not sure how to provide numbers. I'm willing to provide all the information needed to track down this problem.

Ping between servers is as follows (I guess is not bad ~1mseg ping, right?)
$ ping lan.server
--- lan.server ping statistics ---
14 packets transmitted, 14 received, 0% packet loss, time 13012ms

Thanks you!
--
Mauro Ciancio