Re: spiped max qlen being hit

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016, at 04:51, Colin Percival wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016, at 16:40, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> hi spipers,
>
> I'm in the middle of a migration from Debian to FreeBSD, including
> replacing autossh with spiped.
>
> I've been using spiped for about ~ 6 months now with great success, its
> proved more stable and resilient to transient network failure than
> autossh. I've been using it mainly for monitoring events and security
> log shipping - longterm stable connections.
>
> However as I switched the main database servers over, connections
> started to fail & in the end, I had to switch back to autossh. It's been
> stable since then, but I'd prefer to use the right tool for the job
> here, to avoid the stability issues we had in the past.
>
> I've got a gist with more details and readable markdown, [1] but the
> guts are here:
>
> Once I switch more & more hosts over to the spiped tunnel to the DB, I
> start seeing listen queue overflows on the spiped server process, then
> shortly afterwards rate limiting & finally pf states blow-out.

Just to ensure this tale ended up  as a success story, after increasing
the
connections it runs silky smooth. I've watched autossh continue to have
hiccups during this time, and spiped has accommodated all but the most
ungracious of networks -- I even used it to bypass a network failure in
one
of our cloud providers successfully.

Thanks Colin!

A+