upcoming Tarsnap outage ~ 2011-07-27 20:00 UTC

Hi all,

A few days ago I wrote:
> In the next few days -- once I've finished testing, that is
> -- I will be moving the Tarsnap server to a heftier EC2 instance, which should
> prevent this as well as remedying other load-related issues I've seen recently;
> this might cause another short outage (probably < 10 minutes), and I will send
> out another email before the move occurs.

Here's the other email. ;-)

I'm aiming for 2011-07-27 20:00 UTC as the outage time, and *theoretically* it
should only take a few minutes to
1. Stop the tarsnap server,
2. Do the final rsync of data across to the new EC2 instance,
3. Launch the tarsnap server on the new instance, and
4. Attach the tarsnap server IP address to the new EC2 instance
so it's possible that 'tarsnap -c' runs during this period will reconnect to
the new tarsnap server before they error out with "Too many network failures".
That said, I'm going to take my time rather than trying to beat the 5 minute
tarsnap retry clock -- I'm sure everyone will agree that making sure that I
don't break anything is more important than trying to avoid a few backup runs
failing.

I'll send out another email to tarsnap-announce when the server migration is
finished; I'll also be tweeting as @cperciva (and RTing as @tarsnap) when I
have time.

Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid