Reading and deleting archives painfully slow

I take daily archives of a number of machines, and had about three hundred
snapshots under one of my keys which I wondered whether might be responsible
for some tarsnap performance problems I've been seeing. I deleted all but
the five most recent of them, which took a startlingly long time:

  # tarsnap --list-archives | tee list | wc -l
  Please enter passphrase for keyfile /home/root/.tarsnap/key:
  323
  # time tarsnap -d `grep ^alpha- list | sort | head -n -5 | sed 's/^/-f /'`
  Please enter passphrase for keyfile /home/root/.tarsnap/key:

  real    3993m10.403s
  user    388m33.273s
  sys     19m46.026s
  #

However, I'm still seeing other operations as very slow, e.g. extracting a
single small file from the archive

  # time tarsnap -x -f alpha-2011-05-30 home/chris/.bashrc