Re: Planning for Emergency restore

  I just tried printing the key on paper.  I scanned the paper with my
Fujitsu scansnap at max resolution.  Then converted the resulting PDF to
a jpg with ImageMagick.  Then OCR'd it with tesseract.   No joy.  OCR is
just not good enough.

OCR success depends a lot on the font used to print the text being recognized. Have you tried different fonts, in particular OCR fonts? There are some free to download at https://www.wfonts.com/search?kwd=ocr (and probably elsewhere), might be worthwhile to print the key using one of those and seeing if recognition improves.

Brian