Re: Verifying GPG keys for Ubuntu install

Thanks for the report!  Yes, the tarsnap archive keys recently changed -- we
update them every year in January.  I think that I updated all relevant parts
of the website, but I'm always willing to believe that I screwed something up.

Alternate source, if you want more confirmation than a mere email:
https://mobile.twitter.com/cperciva/status/1484314545199796225

When I do:
$ wget https://pkg.tarsnap.com/tarsnap-deb-packaging-key.asc
$ gpg tarsnap-deb-packaging-key.asc

I see:

gpg: WARNING: no command supplied.  Trying to guess what you mean ...
pub   rsa4096 2021-10-26 [SC] [expires: 2023-02-01]
      C8AC97032A76382306D2A315B364F774EAC3C4DF
uid           Tarsnap .deb packages signing key (Tarsnap Backup Inc.) <pkg-deb@tarsnap.com>

Could you please try the same commands?

WARNING: this morning, I re-discovered that if you already have a
tarsnap-deb-packaging-key.asc file in your directory, then wget will save the
new file to tarsnap-deb-packaging-key.asc.1 instead of overwriting the
existing file.  So if you already have the 2021 version of the key, that can
spark a lot of confusion.

I'm wondering if we should stick the year in the filename.  That means that
the copy&paste instructions would have to change each year (which is why we
didn't do this before), but the annual key rotation bites a few people every
year.

Cheers,
- Graham