Re: about usage scenarios

--As of June 27, 2011 1:51:08 PM -0500, Harry Putnam is alleged to have said:

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
In summary: I'd setup a sshfs mnts on the host running tarsnap, for
each machine where I had something to backup. Then mount all the
necessary machines and run thru them using tarsnap to put the stuff on
whatever tarsnap puts them on.
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

Sounds decent. I run something slightly similar: I have a central server that shares directories via NFS, and they are backed up. Which is inverted from your situation (from my understanding, you store the data on all the machines, then have it backed up from a machine that mounts shares from them), but should be fine.

Note that your way will put quite a bit of load on your home network during backups. Though as long as your upstream connection to the internet is substantially slower than your local net (like most are), that shouldn't be a problem.

You could run tarsnap on each box if you wanted, but then you'd be de-centralizing your scheduling. (And allowing yourself to try to run two backups at once, which won't be any faster overall than running them sequentially.)

Whichever way you go there, you have two basic approaches you can use: You can create a separate key for each box, or you can use the same key for all your boxes and use the names of the archives to know which is for which box.

If you have a central backup box, the separate key becomes a bit more complicated, but not extremely so. (You'd need to set the --keyfile and --cachedir options correctly for each run, or have a separate config file for each machine-set that you specify on each run with --configfile that has them.)

Simple backup command line: (Assuming you are using one key file for all boxes, and it's already been created, and that you either have a config file in the standard place or are accepting all defaults. This is the backups for 'machine-alpha'.)
tarsnap -cf machine-alpha-`date +\%F` /path/to/machine-alpha/dir

That can be run once daily, and it would create an archive for each day with the date appended.

I guess the resulting backups work something like rsnapshot? If so
then is finding copies of stuff somewhat involved like it is with
rsnapshot?

Not really. It's like tar. ;) You can restore specific files out of a backup by name, but you'll either need to get a file listing first, or know the name of the file you want. There's a couple of different ways to let it know which files you want (shell patterns or read from a file). I haven't tried it, but I suspect from the way that tarsnap works that it will have to do it somewhat like tar would: that it will have to read more of the archive than just the file it needs. (How much more I don't know. Probably not quite as much as tar would...)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.