Re: about usage scenarios

On 06/27/11 11:51, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'd setup an sshfs (fuse) filesystem for each machine I want to backup
> stuff from on. That would be done  on the vm running tarsnap.
>
> You all may already be familiar sshfs, but if not it works
> something like nfs so that the remote filesytem appears to be part of
> the local filesystem. So there would be a directory appearing on my
> local fs that would contain the photo collection.
>
> So with rsync it would look like:
>
> rsync -avvz my/local/sshfs_mnt/dir/ some@remote:/my/images/
>
> Maybe someone can fill in the appropriate tarsnap cmd?

# tarsnap -cf archivename my/local/sshfs_mnt/dir/

Tarsnap "behaves like" tar, so if you've got files in a mounted filesystem,
you can archive them -- tarsnap neither knows nor cares where the kernel is
getting the files from.

(Well, aside from certain synthetic filesystems like procfs which Tarsnap
will recognize as not being sensible things to back up.  But that doesn't
apply here.)

Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid