Re: about network failures while uploading

On Fri, July 8, 2011 10:51 am, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Marco GruÃ? <mcg@LF.net> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 07/08/11 14:49, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>> Is it a safe guess that there is no way to continue a failed upload
>>> where it left off.
>>
>> Re-run your failed tarsnap command under a new name. What has already
>> been uploaded won't be uploaded again due to the deduplication. After
>> the upload, just delete the partial archive.
>
> But wait, when you deleted the partial... how does that data then
> end up in the new archive?

(Don't take this as authoritative technical info; it is what I understand
from the docs.)  Tarsnap uploads the data in encrypted blocks.  As long as
at least one backup in your set refers to an encrypted block, it will be
retained.

So you've uploaded a set of encrypted blocks, but not the whole set for
the backup you were trying to make.  If you try to make a new backup of
the same files, it will see that those blocks are already there, and
upload the rest of the blocks, while creating references to the ones
already there.  Then you can delete the reference from the partial backup,
but all the blocks will be referenced from the new backup, and therefore
preserved.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.