Re: tarsnap warnings/errors what do they mean

On 07/14/11 12:50, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I got this back from a normal backup run:
>
>  tarsnap -c -f junk-$(dtf) .junk
> tarsnap: Couldn't list extended attributes: No such file or directory
>
> tarsnap: Couldn't list extended attributesCouldn't list extended
> attributes: No such file or directory
>
> tarsnap: Couldn't list extended attributesCouldn't list extended
> attributesCouldn't list extended attributes: No such file or directory

What OS are you running?  Do you have any files which are being deleted
at the same time as tarsnap is running?  I've never seen these errors
before.

> I neglected to use the -v flag on a common backup run but still
> should'nt errors or warning be informatitve to the point of being able
> to identify what the problem is and what file[s] its about.

In general, yes.  When the file name isn't printed it's usually because a
"should never happen" problem occurred.

Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid