Re: nodump on Linux

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Colin Percival wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On 09/17/11 20:50, David Adam wrote:
> > I'm using tarsnap 1.0.30 on Ubuntu 11.04 and I'm a bit confused about when
> > the nodump flag is honoured.
>
> It should be honoured whenever you use the --nodump option.  Something weird
> is going on here.
>
> > Am I approaching this the wrong way?
>
> No, you're quite right that what you're seeing doesn't make sense.
>
> Is everything on the same filesystem?  What type of filesystem?  If you run
> tarsnap with the -w option, does it prompt on these directories?  Does tar
> work properly?  (Which version of tar did you try?)

Yep, this is all on the same filesystem, type ext4
(rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0).

Tarsnap does prompt with the -w option for the same pattern of directories
as above.

GNU tar 1.25 on Ubuntu doesn't know or care about the dump flag/attribute.

> I'll probably have more questions later. ;-)

Thanks for your help!

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au