Re: feature request

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 03:31:54PM -0800, Colin Percival wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 12/12/11 13:25, Michael Stevens wrote:
> > So I was thinking tarsnap would be so much easier if there was a debian
> > apt repository for it.
> >
> > Please can we have one? please please please :)
>
> I'm a FreeBSD guy so I'm a bit clueless (ok, a lot clueless) where Debian
> packaging is concerned.  I've got packaging metadata in the Tarsnap source
> tarballs (thanks to Mads Sulau Joergensen!) which I think should make it
> easy to build Debian packages.
>
> What would be involved here?  Google is finding me a bunch of documentation
> on "setting up an apt repository" but it's not immediately clear if those
> are the relevant instructions if I'm just trying to distribute a single
> application.

I'm a debian user, but I've never tried setting up this aspect of
things.

Googling I find pages like
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocalAptGetRepository which sound like
the sort of thing you'd have to do.

I think the minimum you could do would be to provide an official .deb
package, but for automatic updates setting up an apt repository is
probably the thing to do.

Michael