Re: [Tarsnap GUI] RFC: Automatic job backup and more

--As of June 23, 2015 10:56:29 AM +0300, Shinnok is alleged to have said:

I'd like to change the default directory for newly generated keys(via the
Setup Wizard for now) from the system specific APPDATA ones, which
currently are:
1. ~/.local/share/ on Linux/BSD
2. ~/Library/Application Support/ on OS X

To just ~/Documents. The reasoning behind it is that we shouldn't hide
the keys in such obscure places since they are not transient nor
expendable, whereas the application's data is. We also invite the user to
keep the key safe(on wizard complete), but then provide a path that he's
most likely to ignore in first instance and then completely forget about
it. Another aspect to consider is that a user should be a bit more
careful with stuff residing Documents, rather than some obscure hidden
system paths. Think backups, system restore or system reset.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I would disagree here - Application Support is exactly where I'd expect this type of file to reside. 'Documents' to me is the user-created docs that the user has created and worked on directly, whereas these keys are indirect. Documents also is stuff that the users talk about with each other, copy around to share, etc. None of which they should be doing with Tarsnap keys.

In fact, for your app I'd really be tempted to put them in `/Library/Application Support/` - the top-level system where any user might in theory be able to use them, depending on the situation. (More likely for write-only keys.)

In short: 'Documents' is *more* expendable than 'Application Support' - 'Documents' are the documents the user is working on, while 'Application Support' is what you need to run the programs that work on the files in 'Documents'.

In both cases the user should be backing up the complete $HOME dir, not just their documents folders if they want to be able to restore their work area to what it was before, so saying it's 'obscure' is irrelevant: We kinda *want* to be able to forget about the exact key and it's location, and this is a location that should by default be included in backups and recovery procedures.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.