Re: [Tarsnap GUI] RFC: Automatic job backup and more

On Jun 24, 2015, at 11:43 AM, Seth Heeren <tarsnap@sehe.nl> wrote:

On 06/23/2015 09:56 AM, Shinnok wrote:
I'd like to change the default directory for newly generated keys(via the Setup Wizard for now) from the system specific APPDATA ones, which currently are:
1. ~/.local/share/ on Linux/BSD
2. ~/Library/Application Support/ on OS X
I agree with others that changing this is a bad idea for various reasons.

Changing the location is a breaking change.

As others have pointed out

  • `~/Documents/`  is for user created _documents_. (They can be mailed, copied to a different system etc.) Keys are configuration.
  • The keys should not look like documents (which may be deleted when old, e.g.)
  • The "dotfiles" or "Application Support/" are exactly where this kind of configuration is expected (beyond `/etc` maybe, but that usually implies system deamons)

I suggest you don't make this change. I can see a `~/.tarnsap/` location, but then again, it's probably not worth changing for anymore.

This is the third request I got to not make this change, I guess it suffices to abandon it.

Now in regards to the automatic job feature, do I get any more upvotes for it?

Thanks for your feedback,
Shinnok