Re: tarsnap warning on reading extended attributes

> On Jan 20, 2016, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Daniel (& list),
>
> On 01/18/16 19:05, Daniel LaFlamme wrote:
>
>> I am on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 using the tarsnap-1.0.36 binary package.
>>
>> I thought there was something wrong with my jail setup, but apparently
>> the inability to read extended attributes in the system name space is
>> well-known.
>> See http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-jail/2012-May/001877.html.
>
> I'm a bit torn here -- from one perspective, it makes sense to figure out
> which (system) extended attributes we won't be able to read and skip them;
> but from another, the user asked to archive these files and we shouldn't
> silently drop extended attributes...

Can tarsnap tell when it is running in a jail?  If so, maybe have it
print out one warning message when it starts up, instead of printing
one for each file where it can't read the extended attributes?  Or
maybe have a command-line option where the user can specify that they
(a) are running in a jail, or (b) don't care about saving extended
attributes?

	-- garance alistair drosehn