Re: tarsnap warning on reading extended attributes

On 01/20/16 02:19, Garance AE Drosehn wrote:
>> On Jan 20, 2016, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
>> I'm a bit torn here -- from one perspective, it makes sense to figure out
>> which (system) extended attributes we won't be able to read and skip them;
>> but from another, the user asked to archive these files and we shouldn't
>> silently drop extended attributes...
>
> Can tarsnap tell when it is running in a jail?  If so, maybe have it
> print out one warning message when it starts up, instead of printing
> one for each file where it can't read the extended attributes?

There is no code in tarsnap right now to identify if it's running inside a
jail, but code could theoretically be added.  Adding that just for FreeBSD
is a bit ugly though.

> Or
> maybe have a command-line option where the user can specify that they
> (a) are running in a jail, or (b) don't care about saving extended
> attributes?

Interestingly a new --no-xattr option was added to libarchive a few days
ago.  Maybe tarsnap should grab that...