the nodump option and excluding files?

Hello to all. I tried to do the nodump option, however I cannot get it to work on files. I want to exclude every instant let's say of ds_store. I get how to exclude directories and I hope that works, but when I do a dry-run even though i have the flags set on what I thought was ds_store I still see it in the dry run.

I followed the examples given at this message link from the list.

http://mail.tarsnap.com/tarsnap-users/msg00961.html

I know that is a bit old but I was hoping it would help. I did this.

Chflags nodump .ds_store
And that seemed to work except I still see .ds_store at the dry run when I but the terminal output. What am I not understanding here? I thought it was global so I would put --nodump in my script which I did, but so far no joy.

Blessings to all, and happy Friday