Re: Big initial upload

jerry@tr2.com writes:
Maybe there's a niche here for another small business.  Somebody
with a speedy internet connection could accept thumb drives or
hard disks by mail, and upchuck them into the cloud.

http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/ exists. But I think it would be difficult to use that well in tarsnap.

Anyway, if the initial upload is big enough to be a problem, then IMO it's best to consider whether the restore after a sizable data loss will be fast enough to make tarsnap a viable possibility in this particular case. Tarsnap is great if viable, IMO, but the time to restore can be a problem.

Perhaps it's possible to cut the amount of data on tarsnap. And perhaps it's possible to backup both locally and to tarsnap (this is what I do, and I hope hope hope that if I need a big restore, the local backup will have survived). YMMV.

Arnt