Re: Big initial upload

On 29/06/16 16:00, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
This might be an option*waves hands vigorously*
--snip-- data -> HDD -> AusPost -> S3 -> EC2 -> tarsnap, manipulate cache and keys

Thanks Dave, my mind wandered in that direction and I did wonder if AWS would accept postal delivery. At $job-1 we accepted such a delivery from a client, and enjoyed citing the quote about a station wagon full o' tapes.

We're also considering getting in touch with local businesses, the nearby university, ISPs etc to see if someone might assist. But...

> - a WAN-based full recovery is going to take a looooooooooooong time
> be careful this is what you want

Yep, this is the kicker. For now I'll pursue a hybrid solution which improves some of our architecture, and work on other things to improve the whole picture. One of those other things is replacing our Internet connection, but that's not going to be a panacea.

Thank you everyone for the excellent responses. I am unsurprised to find a high quality community around what appears to be high quality software.

Greg.