Re: identical input, different output?

> I believe all x64 CPUs support SSE2. I'm not sure if its mandatory in the
> spec, or just that all manufacturers included it.
> The Apple chips, like most tablet/phone chips, are ARM instruction set
> (which is neither x86 or x64) - so they don't support SSE at all; but
> there
> are equivalents of SIMD operations for ARM.
> For best portability, the nosse will work everywhere; but for any cpu
> which
> has sse, the sse version is much faster.

I tried using crypto_scrypt-sse.c on iOS. The code doesn't even compile.
It stops at "#error "SSE2 instruction set not enabled"" within emmintrin.h
So it's good to know that it fails to compile, as opposed to crashing at
runtime.

crypto_scrypt-sse.c works fine on OS X though. Since I'm not an expert on
how CPUs progress over time, I thought I'd ask, how likely is it that CPUs
in Macs would all of a sudden stop supporting SSE? I'm pretty sure this is
very unlikely (without Apple at least providing some emulator like they
did when migrating from PowerPC to Intel years ago), but I want to be
sure.