Re: accelerate archive recovery

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 09:34:01AM +0100, Chris Webb wrote:
> Kevin Gilpin <kevin.gilpin@praxeon.com> writes:
>
> > Is there anything I can do to make the -x operation go faster? Tarsnap is
> > only using about 10% of my CPU, I am restoring an EC2 instance so it should
> > have a very fast pipe to tarsnap. It is taking a couple of hours to restore
> > 10GB; I need it to be faster than that because the archive size will
> > ultimately be up to 100GB and I can't wait 20 hours for a recovery.
>
> Interesting. Sounds like my guess yesterday that my performance problems
> were due to latency from the UK might be completely incorrect!

It's my understanding the poor restore performance is a known issue with
tarsnap. I don't believe it's network or CPU related, but rather an
issue with the design at the server end. I'm fairly sure Colin plans to
fix it, but I've got no idea of when.

Hopefully he can give a more authoritative answer though.

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop
http://www.bishnet.net/tim/