Re: Confusion about including and excluding files in tarsnap.conf versus the command line

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 05:33:03PM -0800, Craig Hartnett wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

No problem.  I'm glad it worked out!

> The cron job has been happily running all week, so things are good.
> However, the script at https://www.tarsnap.com/tips.html#receive-mail
> refers to an output file that isn't actually created, so should I be
> specifying the output file name on the command line or somewhere else?
> Doesn't seem like it's needed though, as cron sends along the output
> anyway.

I'm not certain that I follow.  That script creates a (temporary) output file,
dumps info into it[1], emails it to you, then deletes the output file.

Hmm, the script would be easier to read if I had a

    # Clean up
    rm $tarsnap_output_filename

comment.

[1] I just noticed that it only sends info if you have "print-stats" in a
config file; otherwise a successful backup will send an empty email with the
subject "Tarsnap backup success".  I think that's the right behaviour to have,
but I should add a note about print-stats.

Cheers,
- Graham