Re: What all do I need to migrate tarsnap-gui setup to new MacBook?

Hi Amar,

Yes, it's correct that the gui does not need the password if you already have
a keyfile.

Behind the scenes, the "verifying archive integrity" step is running
`tarsnap --fsck` to download archive metadata.  That's approximately 0.1% of
the total archive size:
https://www.tarsnap.com/multiple-machines.html
You can avoid this if you copy the cache directory from your old laptop to
your new one.  (as mentioned on that link)

Alternatively, you could skip over the setup wizard.  You have two options
here:
1) launch the setup wizard, then click on "skip wizard", then set up options
in the Settings tab.
2) copy your old tarsnap.db to the same location on the new laptop.  Then when
you launch tarsnap-gui, it should have the same options as you had on the old
machine.

The gui will probably prompt you to repair the cache; if it doesn't, then go
to Settings->Application->"Repair cache".  This will run the same `tarsnap
--fsck` operation, but this time you can see some progress messages clicking
on the bottom-left triangle.  For example, I get:

[2021-04-10 10:20 A.M.] Cache repair initiated.
[2021-04-10 10:20 A.M.] Cache repair succeeded.
[2021-04-10 10:20 A.M.] Updating archives list from remote...
[2021-04-10 10:20 A.M.] Updating archives list from remote... done.
[2021-04-10 10:20 A.M.] Fetching stats for archive xyz...

(Or, if you want to see the full information, use the "console log" option.)

In your case, I suspect that you have many archives so it's spending a lot of
time on this step.

I've added two issues: showing progress in the setupwizard, and adding an
import / export functionality:
https://github.com/Tarsnap/tarsnap-gui/issues/550
https://github.com/Tarsnap/tarsnap-gui/issues/549

Cheers,