Re: Should I keep all archives

I used to adhere to the following discipline.  I don't know if this is useful to you.

Run tarsnap daily.  Each archive created is tagged as one of the following:

daily-<filesystem>-YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ
weekly-<filesystem>-YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ
monthly-<filesystem>-YYYYMMDDTHHMMSSZ

is it the last day of the month?  [ "`date -v+1d +%d`" = "1"]
    create monthly archive
    delete all but the N most recent monthly archives

else is it the last day of the week?   [ "`date -v+1d +%u`" = "1"]
    create weekly archive
    delete all but the M most recent weekly archives

else
    create daily archive
    delete all but the J most recent daily archives

weekly are taken the last day of the week (Sat or Sun, dep. on your locale) – monthly are taken on the last day of every month