Re: Tarsnap died

OK,

Yet another email problem. I've been fighting with that for a while. I've been running my own email server since the 90's. That's not as easy as it used to be. New security protocols are becoming necessary. The original symptom was that outgoing emails would be dumped on the floor by the big ISP's, especially Google. So I tried to install them.

The first was SPF. That one's easy. You stick in a DNS record that says "don't accept any emails claiming to come from my domain except from IP address x.x.x.x".

Then DKIM - that's a lot harder. A cryptographic hash is done of outgoing messages, and you check it on the incoming, getting the public key from the domain's DNS.

I think that's my problem for incoming. DKIM filtering is not working correctly. Strangely enough, I still mostly get all the email from everybody. Apparently, except you. This doesn't mean that your DKIM is wrong; it surely means that my installation is bad.

My server is Slackware-based. A new Slackware just came out, and I'm installing that on another machine. On that machine, I'm moving from Sendmail to Postfix, which is supposed to be more modern,
less cruft, and easier to admin.

But there's a LOT of stuff to get working on that new server before cutting over. And it's an inferior machine. Just a Dell desktop PC. The plan is to get the new server running, then update the old server ( which is a
true server machine with ECC RAM ) and cut back over to that.

I'm glad to know that there were multiple terse emails. That means that when I get my email house in order,
I should be able to comfortably use Tarsnap again.

Will I have to generate a new key for a new account?

Strangely enough, the mailing list is coming in fine. In real time, not off the archive.

              - jerry@tr2.com