Re: spiped build issues on OS X

Yeah, over at Homebrew we took the decision to start pushing
everything we come across onto our provided OpenSSL, due to the
security vulns of using depreciated connections.

It was a fairly recent decision though and consequently we're only
really catching formula as they get updated or checked. I only caught
the spiped & co last night after I ran a debug install and noticed
libcrypto being called. Alas, there aren't many people who will catch
things like that, and so updating the several thousand formula we roll
will take a wee while.

I'm not sure what MacPorts and Fink do in regards to this package
though. It might be worth checking those out to see if they're also
rolling with an updated OpenSSL dep.

As for people who download and build the source from scratch
themselves, perhaps it's worth editing the BUILDING document to
specify you really should be using a newer OpenSSL on OS X.

Dom

Sent from Thunderbird for OS X. My PGP public key is automatically
attached to this email.

On 30/08/2014 23:59, Frederick Akalin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Colin Percival
> <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
>> Oh wow.  I'm surprised this didn't go even worse.  The Makefiles
>> in the individual spipe and spiped directories aren't designed to
>> be used with Makefile.POSIX...
>
> I know. But that raises the question: how should someone other
> than yourself (running FreeBSD) hack on spiped? Is there a better
> approach than what I'm doing?
>
>> Or in the extreme case, 512 macros, for each subset of the 9
>> inline functions which may or may not be used by a particular
>> module...
>
> Another possible solution would be to turn off the warnings via
> pragmas from the possibly-unused functions. I don't know how that
> would interact with macro expansion, though...
>
>>> In file included from ../libcperciva/util/asprintf.c:2: In file
>>> included from /usr/include/stdio.h:71:
>>> /usr/include/sys/_types/_va_list.h:31:26: error: redefinition
>>> of typedef 'va_list' is a C11 feature
>>> [-Werror,-Wtypedef-redefinition]
>>
>> I suppose technically this is true... but it's also a feature in
>> C99 and C89, so I have no idea where this complaint is coming
>> from.
>
> Actually, see
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8367646/redefinition-of-typedef

. Looks like it's legal in C++ but not in C89 or C99, probably due to