Re: spiped build issues on OS X

Given the way the makefile is set up, which is quite unique compared
to makefiles that OS X usually sees, I'm not 100%.

My gut feeling is that it pulls where to look for the libcrypto from
the $PATH? That'd be expected behaviour.

If someone was to download OpenSSL, and build it with the prefix say
/usr/local/OpenSSL but NOT to link it into either /usr/bin &
/usr/include or /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/include (Both screw with
building software on OS X) and then for the purpose of building and
using spiped temporarily exported /usr/local/OpenSSL to the $PATH,
that should work.

I'm not sure if that would stick though or whether they'd have to
export the $PATH each time. Is there a way to test which OpenSSL
spiped is using at runtime? Does it remember the libcrypto it was
built with, or does it latch onto the first one in the $PATH each time?

To be honest, I'd probably just recommend that if someone wants to
build this package on OS X they should use the MacPorts or Homebrew
build instead. Doing so facilitates spiped with the bsdmake it prefers
and a reliable, updated, secure OpenSSL.

Hopefully this email made some kind of useful sense.

Dom

Sent from Thunderbird for OS X. My PGP public key is automatically
attached to this email.