Re: spiped build issues on OS X

On 08/30/14 19:27, Frederick Akalin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Frederick Akalin <akalin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I agree. I'll try to come up with some language to put in BUILDING.
>
> Here's some example text to put into BUILDING. Feel free to edit
> mercilessly; I'm not sure what level of detail is appropriate for that
> file.

My only rule for BUILDING is that it has instructions for people who have
decided that they want to build the code "manually", so I don't include
instructions about using packaging systems (like Homebrew).  The hope is
that the standard make command will work on the vast majority of systems
so I'll only need to mention a small number of exceptions.

I've condensed your wording a bit; is the following accurate enough?
+On OS X, the version of OpenSSL included with the operating system is outdated
+(0.9.8) and deprecated, and it is recommended that spiped be built with an
+updated version of OpenSSL.  After installing a newer version of OpenSSL, use
+CFLAGS="-I /path/to/openssl/headers" and LDADD_EXTRA="-L /path/to/openssl/lib"
+to build spiped with your newer OpenSSL.  Note that spiped will still build if
+you set these options wrong: If you see
+    error: 'AES_set_encrypt_key' is deprecated
+during the build then spiped is using the wrong (outdated, shipped with OS X)
+version of OpenSSL.