Re: When you run out of money

On 06/29/11 18:08, Harry Putnam wrote:
> This is probably explained somewhere but I haven't run across it yet.
>
> I've created an account, put some $ in there.
>
> I have about 44 GB to archive on this go-around.  How much money will
> that take?

44 GB * 0.30 $ / GB = 13.20 $.

Or less if the data can be deduplicated or compressed.  You can run
# tarsnap --print-stats --dry-run -c /files/to/archive
to do a "dry run" and show statistics on how much data would end up
being uploaded.

> But also, if now or in the future I attempt to store more
> data than I have money to pay for... what happens?

As long as your balance doesn't go *very* negative, the Tarsnap server
will let you finish the archive you're creating before sending the
"please insert coin to continue" error message.

> Does the transfer just fail silently?  Or are there error messages
> telling whats going on ..?

Nothing should ever fail silently.

Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid