Re: feature request

On 12/13/11 13:46, Scott Wiersdorf wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 06:42:54PM +0000, Michael Stevens wrote:
>> I think the minimum you could do would be to provide an official .deb
>> package, but for automatic updates setting up an apt repository is
>> probably the thing to do.
>
> I think Colin has already done more than the minimum by providing the
> control files with the tarball. I'm not a debian expert either, but
> doesn't 'dpkg -b' make you a .deb file that you can install? I'd
> (personally) rather have Colin spending his time on tarsnap then on
> maintaining repos for every Linux distro.

For the record, I'm not expecting to provide binaries in the near future,
whether for Debian or any other platform -- there's other issues which are
much higher priority.  But I'm still interested in understanding the issues
involved better so that I'll be able to do this when the time comes.

Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve
Founder / author, Tarsnap | tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid