About rsyncing cache directories

Dear all,

I have read+write keys on machines doing backups. A separate host stores
the delete key and does backup rotation. I rsync tarsnap cache
directories back and forth to keep them synchronized.

I recently came across this post that says rsyncing basically
invalidates the point of having a separate delete key:

http://mail.tarsnap.com/tarsnap-users/msg00935.html

Is this a valid concern? If subverting the cache directory is indeed
possible, it probably requires a much more sophisticated attacker than
one who knows how to do "tarsnap -d".

Originally my intention was to avoid doing regular "tarsnap --fsck".
--fsck seems to take several times the time and bandwidth compared to a
regular daily tarsnap backup on my machines.

Best regards,
Tomaž