Re: About rsyncing cache directories

On 06/05/15 07:08, Tomaž Šolc wrote:
> I have read+write keys on machines doing backups. A separate host stores
> the delete key and does backup rotation. I rsync tarsnap cache
> directories back and forth to keep them synchronized.
>
> I recently came across this post that says rsyncing basically invalidates
> the point of having a separate delete key:
>
> http://mail.tarsnap.com/tarsnap-users/msg00935.html
>
> Is this a valid concern? If subverting the cache directory is indeed
> possible, it probably requires a much more sophisticated attacker than
> one who knows how to do "tarsnap -d".

It's definitely possible, but it does require a more sophisticated
attacker.  There's other benefits too, e.g., if you have scheduled
archive pruning you might detect the server compromise before the
tampered-with cache directory can result in data being deleted.

> Originally my intention was to avoid doing regular "tarsnap --fsck".
> --fsck seems to take several times the time and bandwidth compared to a
> regular daily tarsnap backup on my machines.

Yes, fsck needs to read metadata for all the currently stored archives,
whereas creating an archive only needs to send *new* blocks.

But if you only prune periodically (e.g., create a backup every day but
only prune them once a week) you may find that the cost of the fsck is
low enough.  Also note that it's safe to copy the cache directory from
the delete-keys system to the write-keys system, so you only need to do
the fsck once, not twice.