Re: Tarsnap GUI for the desktop

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 11:48 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2015, at 05:37 AM, Shinnok wrote:
>> Greetings to all gents and ladies,
>>
>> I bring fresh news from the Tarsnap pit.
>
> Thank-you!
>
> Being truly lazy, I made an OSX brew recipe[1], feel free to add
> comments to the gist & I'll update it per feedback for the next week or
> so before submitting it to the brew repo.

I definitely want to encourage the inclusion in the Homebrew repo so I'll do whatever is necessary to ease that. Being able to install the Tarsnap utilities, Qt and subsequently Tarsnap GUI in a single command on OS X is the way to go.

> # Issues
>
> - it's not clear how best to re-use an existing tarsnap install (wrt
> machine keys, cache dir ... etc), your caveat wrt 0.5 / beta duly noted
>
> - the setup wizard doesn't like using a cache dir that is owned only by
> root (chown $USER:wheel /usr/local/tarsnap-cache)
>
> - wizard won't enable the `proceed` button
> https://i.imgur.com/GYvftBj.png and it's not clear why

Thanks for the reports! Making sure you duplicate reports to the GitHub project issues is a sure way to ensure that I don't forget/overlook them, so please continue doing that.

> - the app needs an "About" menu option to report the version number,
> super author, and any FLOSS-related credits

The about menu is on my todo list.

> - it might be worthwhile considering a different name for the app than
> `Tarsnap` especially as it results in a duplicate binary
> ~/Applications/Tarsnap.app/Contents/MacOS/Tarsnap which is awkward on
> OSX as HFS+ is case-insensitive by default.
>
> I'll add github issues for these.
>
> [1]: https://gist.github.com/dch/b39c65038f2b21314dbf

For the other platforms the resulted binary name is tarsnap-gui. On OS X I was relying on the fact that the app will reside in a .app bundle anyway so it wouldn't matter that much. The only downside could be confusion in a process list like Activity Monitor?

I'll attend to your issues on GitHub soon.

Thanks again,
Shinnok